Wild Kitchen is a new feature from Timothy Young, owner and chef at Food for Thought. Be sure to visit their web site for great organic and wild harvested gourmet products food products. If you have any questions or comments, post them below in the comments or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 potatoes (red skin)
4 slices bacon
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar or rice syrup
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup diced wild leeks (bulb and leaf)
1/4 cup diced red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
- Add leek whites to bacon fat and sautee until translucent or just beginning to brown.
- add the flour, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook over medium heat until dressing is thick.
- Add bacon, potatoes and green sliced leek greens to skillet and stir until coated. Cook until heated and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold.
Photo by Brian Confer